These will include hackathons, make-a-thons, and startup weekends themed around particular topics, problems, or challenges. These are intended to provide students with brief, but deep, exposure to the processes of innovation and entrepreneurship through experiential learning in team settings.
These events will all provide instruction and guidance not just on a particular science-related problem or technique, but in thinking about solutions from a business perspective: to consider not just the technical feasibility of a solution but also whether and how a viable business model (be it for- or non-profit) could be developed to implement the solution.
Planned topics include:
- Virtual and Augmented Reality hackathon
- Soil pH neutralization hackathon
- Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) neuro-hackathon
- Launch Oceans 6-week startup incubator program (with LaunchDal and Ignite Labs, Yarmouth, NS)
- iGEM (the International Genetically Engineered Machine competition) hackathon and innovation training
- Oceans data hackathon
- Oceans instrumentation hackathon/makeathon
- Brain-computer interface neuro-hackathon
- Marine policy hackathon
- Renewable energy startup weekend
- Indigenous startup weekend