The SURGE interns program provides opportunities for students to gain experiential training in leadership and scientific communication, with mentors from Dalhousie University’s science and communications communities. SURGE interns make a term-by-term commitment to performing assigned tasks related to the organization, promotion, and documentation of SURGE events and activities. Interns will also benefit from a training program focused on design thinking, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
The expected commitment is 10 hours per week over each academic term. Interns who meet or exceed specified performance targets throughout the term will receive a letter of recommendation describing their performance – including professionalism, communication, creative, and leadership skills – as well as a $1,000 bursary to offset tuition costs. These internships provide a unique opportunity to build their skills in a dynamic, professional, high-expectation environment.
Intern positions available are:
- Event Coordination Intern – liaise with faculty and student organizers; organize catering; manage event logistics
- Outreach Intern – liaise with community partners and organize outreach events
- Audio-Video Intern – AV recording of events and promotions; post-production
- Social Media Intern – developing and pushing content to social media channels; event promotion; drive traffic to videos and stories
- Graphic Design Intern – produce posters and digital media for event promotion and social media
- Writing Intern – write copy for promotions and blog/news stories about SURGE events and activities
- Data Science Intern – collect, analyze, and report quantitative data on SURGE key performance indicators; design and execute messaging efficacy tests in coordination with communications interns
Applications are due in September (for the Fall term) and December (for the Winter term). In general, preference will be given to continuing interns over new interns, so application in September is highly recommended as some positions may not be open only for Winter term.
Previous experience related to the desired position is required. Please submit a curriculum vitae/resume including a link to your LinkedIn profile and, for Communications and Analytics positions, a portfolio of past work either as a web link or attachment. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org